These Brown Butter Sugar Cookies have a crunchy exterior and a soft and chewy interior.
Today I’m sharing the second brown butter recipe for the week. These brown butter sugar cookies are quite possibly the best sugar cookies I have ever had. Since sugar cookies are my favorite cookie, I knew I had to make a brown butter version. I’m so glad I finally took the plunge because this is for sure going to be my new go-to recipe.
For awhile I was kind of burned out in the kitchen. I didn’t have any creative energy flowing through my body. I have a list of about 100+ recipe ideas but none of them sounded good enough. Since I’ve decided to do the whole themed ingredient recipe weeks I’ve found myself coming up with loads of new ideas.
For awhile the kitchen started to feel like a chore. I was in there all the time. If I wasn’t creating a new recipe for my blog I was making breakfast, lunch, or dinner and constantly doing the dishes. I’ve kind of come up with a new system so I have days where I’m not in the kitchen for my blog. If I’m in there all the time I grow to hate it and we often order take out.
Meal prepping and meal planning has been my lifesaver. Prepping lunches twice a week is great for both my boyfriend and myself. With the blog I’m often too busy to find time to cook myself a balanced meal. I like to prepare chicken breasts, rice, and vegetables for the week. Sometimes I swap potatoes for the rice. I make sure to change things up every so often so we don’t get sick of the same thing day after day.
I decided to sneak one of these brown butter sugar cookies into my boyfriends lunch for today. I’m sure he didn’t complain when he found it.
- 1 cup butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 granulated sugar (for rolling)
- To make the brown butter; melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir the butter so it cooks evenly.
- The butter will foam and transform from lemon yellow to golden yellow to a light brown.
- When the butter is done it will have a nutty aroma.
- Remove the butter from the heat and transfer to a heat safe mixing bowl. Allow to cool for 20 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- In your mixing bowl combine the brown butter with the sugars.
- Mix in the egg and vanilla extract.
- Add in the flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir until just combined.
- Drop heaping tablespoons of dough onto a lined baking sheet. Roll each dough ball into some granulated sugar.
- Place dough balls 2 inches apart on a lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 12 minutes.
- Let cool on baking sheet 1 minute and then transfer to a cooling rack.
- Store in an airtight container.