If you love carrot cake, you’re going to love these carrot cake scones. Actually, even if you don’t like carrot cake you might still like, or even love these scones. Personally I do not like carrot cake. In my opinion vegetables just don’t belong in sweet recipes but these carrot cake scones work! The flavors mesh so perfectly and make you want more… and more 🙂
I made my scones in two shapes. I rolled out the dough and cut out the traditional triangle shapes. For the other half of the dough I used a round cookie cutter to punch out perfect rounds. Personally I like the rounds better because they’re more perfect. I hate when foods are a million different sizes. By using the cookie cutter they’ll be sure to all be equal in size.
I just love how the carrot shows in the scones. The beautiful orange from the carrot really adds a nice pop of color. These carrot cake scones would love beautiful on an easter table. You might want to make a double batch though, they’re hard to resist 😉
Over the weekend we started working on our landscaping in the front of the house. It was beautiful outside and the temperature was in the seventies. While digging up the old landscaping we ran into a million bugs and worms, gross! I’ve never seen so many worms in my life. I told my boyfriend we should have saved them and put a sign in our yard that said, “live bait,” I mean it is officially fishing season after all.
Today the weather took a turn for the worst and there’s now snow on the ground. I guess I should have expected it considering we live in Pennsylvania. Luckily it’s going to warm up again after today, but it just ruined everyones happy spring mood.
These carrot cake scones will be sure to make anyone happy. Like I said before even if you don’t like carrot cake you might find yourself loving these scones.
- 3 1/4 cups flour
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbs. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp. cloves
- 1/2 cup cold salted butter, cubed
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup shredded carrot (approx. 2 medium carrots)
- 1 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2-3 tbs. milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.
- Once mixed cut in cold butter until butter is the size of peas.
- Mix in buttermilk, egg, vanilla, and shredded carrot.
- Mix until just combined (I used my stand mixer).
- Roll out dough 3/4 inch thick on floured surface.
- Cut out shape of your choice and place on a lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes.
- For the glaze; while scones are in the oven combine cream cheese, vanilla, powdered sugar, and milk.
- Drizzle glaze over cooled scones and enjoy!