These chocolate chip cookie cupcakes are a vanilla cake with chocolate chips topped with a brown sugar buttercream thats sprinkled with crushed up chocolate chip cookies.
Can’t decide between cupcakes and cookies? Why not combine the two. This cake recipe is so perfectly tender. Topped with a brown sugar frosting and I’m basically in heaven after one bite. The crushed up cookies take the whole recipe to a new level. It adds a nice texture and really takes the overall flavor to a whole new level.
I didn’t want to use homemade cookies for the crumbs because they need to be crunchy and dry in order for them to crumble. If the cookies are too “fresh” they will just form a ball when blended. Famous Amos cookies have always been one of my favorite store bought cookies so I thought they would be perfect for this recipe.
I was worried all the chocolate chips would sink to the bottom of the cupcakes but I actually didn’t have that issue at all. The chocolate chips stayed spread out pretty evenly within the cupcakes. If you like a little more chocolate in your cupcakes you may want to double the amount. I’m not the biggest fan of chocolate so 1/2 cup was the perfect amount for me.
It’s currently 80 degrees here in Tennessee and I’m still refusing to turn the air conditioning on. I feel like this summer might be even hotter than last. If that’s the case I will be sweating up a storm. Although I’m already pretty used to the warmer weather. I’m sitting in the shade outside right now and I’m actually rather chilly. The inside of my house on the other hand is pretty uncomfortable. At night I open the windows but since there isn’t really any wind here opening them during the day is rather pointless.
If it means I get to eat another one of these chocolate chip cookie cupcakes I will gladly turn on my air conditioning.
What’s your favorite kind of cookie?
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/4 cup chocolate chip cookie crumbs
- 12 mini chocolate chip cookies
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer combine butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Once fluffy mix in eggs one at a time.
- Mix in vanilla.
- In a separate bowl sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- With the mixer on low add in 1/3 of the flour mixture, 1/8 cup of milk, another 1/3 of the flour mixture, the rest of the milk, and the rest of the flour mixture.
- Add in the chocolate chips and mix until just combined.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 of the way full and bake for 18-22 minutes.
- Cool before frosting.
- In a large bowl cream together butter and brown sugar until fluffy.
- Add in powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk.
- Mix on a medium-high speed for 5 minutes.
- Frost cupcakes once cooled.
- Top with the crushed cookie crumbs and a mini chocolate chip cookie.