I have shared a huge variety of cookie recipes here on Sweet as a Cookie. As I was going through my recipe index the other day I realized I hadn’t shared a chocolate chip cookie recipe, silly me. This chocolate chip cookie recipe is by far my favorite. Before this recipe I actually only ever ate the raw dough of a chocolate chip cookie, because I don’t enjoy the taste of a chocolate chip cookie.
But these cookies, they’re special. There’s something about them that makes them so desirable. It might be the combination of smaller and normal sized chocolate chips, or maybe it’s just how soft and chewy they are. The only cookies I enjoy on the crunchy side are sugar cookies. These chocolate chip cookies are so soft. It’s like you’re taking a bite of a thick cloud filled with sugar and chocolate when taking a bite.
These chocolate chip cookies are also good for stacking, you know in case you’re into that sort of thing. Sometimes I see how many I can stack before they fall over. These cookies don’t spread in the oven and you don’t even need to refrigerate the dough! SCORE! Having to refrigerate cookie dough is one of the worst things, ever! When I’m trying a recipe and it tells me to refrigerate overnight I immediately get angry and just stick it in the oven anyway. Sometimes they don’t spread, other times it’s a disaster. I’m a risk taker when it comes to being in the kitchen.
If I wasn’t a risk taker who knows if this blog would even exist. I’m not afraid to throw a bunch of ingredients into a bowl and hope for the best, always measuring of course 😉 I have two notebooks full of recipe ideas. There’s no rhyme or reason to them. Whichever one is closer at the time gets written in. When I go to test my recipes the notebooks usually get covered in flour, egg, and butter. Hey I never said I was clean in the kitchen.
I do try my best to take my time when making these cookies. I wouldn’t want a chocolate chip to go to waste by rolling across the floor. If you’re a chocolate chip cookie fanatic I suggest you go and make these now. I’m not kidding, you won’t regret it.
- 3/4 cup salted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp. vanilla bean paste (or vanilla extract)
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Using your paddle attachment cream together butter and sugars in the bowl of your stand mixer.
- Once fluffy mix in egg, vanilla, cornstarch, and baking soda.
- Slowly add in flour and mix until well combined.
- Mix in chocolate chips (you can do this with your stand mixer or by hand).
- Drop by tablespoons onto a lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.
- Store in an airtight container for up to three days.
- * I don't recommend this recipe if you don't have a stand mixer. The dough is very very tough.