“I participated in an Ambassador Program on behalf of Influence Central for P.A.N. Cornmeal. I received product samples as well as a promotional item to thank me for my participation.”
Melt in your mouth french toast with an irresistible crispy cornmeal crust.
French toast has always been one of my favorite brunch foods. Honestly anything carb-loaded is my guilty pleasure. While exploring new recipes in the kitchen I was interested in adding cornmeal to my french toast. I was inspired by my cereal crusted french toast. I normally opt for a cornflake crust, something to give it the perfect crunch. Since I had no cornflakes I decided to try cornmeal.
I’ve had pizza with a slight cornmeal crust before and I loved the extra crunch it gave to the dough. As it turns out the cornmeal does wonders for french toast as well.
Cornmeal has always been a mystery ingredient for me. I always thought it was very limiting but as I started experimenting in the kitchen I soon found that not to be true. P.A.N. cornmeal is already a staple ingredient in most Venezuelan homes, however it’s only recently found its way into U.S. kitchens. Since P.A.N. cornmeal is the number one cornmeal in South America.
This cornmeal crusted french toast is super simple to make. You make it just like you would any other french toast recipe but before placing it on to the hot pan you coat both sides of the soaked bread in cornmeal. My favorite way to enjoy this french toast is covered in maple syrup and powdered with sugar. You could also enjoy this french toast with fresh fruit or jam.
For even more recipes using P.A.N. cornmeal, head on over to the P.A.N. Tumblr page.
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon butter extract, optional
- 6 thick slices of bread
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- In a small bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon, butter extract.
- In a shallow bowl add the cornmeal.
- Take each piece of bread and coat both sides with the egg mixture.
- Take the soaked bread slices and coat each side in the cornmeal.
- Over medium heat coat a non-stick skillet with butter or cooking spray.
- Cook the french toast on each side until it is golden brown.
- Serve with maple syrup.