Funfetti rice krispies treats are the perfect way to celebrate a birthday!
It’s the season for funfetti everything, am I right? I feel like once spring rolls around recipes become filled with fresh fruit and sprinkles. Honestly I’m not complaining. I love both of those things.
One of my long term obsessions has always been rice krispies treats. I even created a recipe on how to achieve THE PERFECT rice krispies treats. It has been one of my most popular recipes on my blog over the past year. Apparently everyone loves rice krispies treats. Since that recipe has been so popular I thought I would give my personal favorite a little facelift.
I originally shared this funfetti rice krispies treats recipe the week I turned 21. If you didn’t know… I am now 22. So since it’s been over a year since I first made this recipe and photographed it I wanted to re-do it and give it the love it deserves.
These rice krispies treats could not be tastier. By adding in the funfetti cake mix you take the flavor up a notch. It’s almost like a two for one kind of deal. You get to eat rice krispies treats while also feeling like you’re eating a yummy birthday cake. Personally I prefer the krispie version.
This is completely optional but I decided to add additional sprinkles into the rice krispies treat mixture and on top of the rice krispies treats. I wanted the treats to really shout funfetti just by looking at them.
My boyfriend and I bought our first house plant yesterday. I’ve grown my own garden and stuff before but I’ve never had a house plant. We all really enjoy it including our two cats. I don’t know how we’re going to keep them from snacking on it.
- 5 tbs. butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 15oz. marshmallows
- 2/3 cup funfetti cake mix
- 6 cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- rainbow sprinkles, optional
- Prepare a 8 × 8 inch pan with butter; set aside.
- In a large saucepan melt butter over low heat with the vanilla.
- Add in marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Slowly stir in the dry cake mix.
- Once combined remove from heat and stir in the cereal.
- Using greased spatula press mixture into the greased pan.
- Cool on the countertop for approximately 30 minutes. Cut into squares and press Rice Krispies Treats into sprinkles (optional).
Originally published December 11, 2013