Healthier Baked Spicy Chicken Nuggets
Chicken nuggets have always been one of my favorite foods. They’re easily portable, often have a slightly crunchy exterior, and if you’re lucky they’re sometimes spicy. Now just like my Spicy Turkey Chili recipe these chicken nuggets do pack the heat. So if you’re not into spicy foods just leave out the hot spices.
I wanted to make a healthier version of chicken nuggets because let’s be honest… if theirs a pile of them in front of you… you just can’t stop eating them. So if you’re going to binge eat chicken nuggets they should at least be on the better side for your sake. These chicken nuggets are made with juicy chicken breasts and bread crumbs. If you wanted to make them even healthier you could use a whole wheat or a whole grain bread crumb. I just used what I had on hand at the time.
I swear awhile back I read blue cheese as an ingredient to buffalo sauce. Ever since then I’ve avoided it like the plague. I knew I needed the sauce for an upcoming recipe, but when I was in the store looking at the ingredients blue cheese wasn’t there. I honestly was so happy because that now means I’ll be dipping everything in buffalo sauce. I feel like I’ve been betrayed by the buffalo sauce with the yucky ingredient. For all I know that could have just been a dream. More like a nightmare though.
I know people usually dip spicy foods in ranch to take them down a notch but I guess I just can’t get enough spice. If my nose ain’t running it ain’t hot enough. My best friend things all my food is spicy. I’m gonna have to break the poor girl in.
What’s your favorite kind of sauce to dip your spicy chicken nuggets in?
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast or lean ground chicken
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- In the bowl of your food processor pulse chicken breasts, water, salt, and black pepper until the chicken is broken down. (If using ground chicken just combine all of the ingredients in a medium bowl.
- In a separate bowl combine bread crumbs, red pepper, chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, and black pepper.
- Scoop about a tablespoon of the chicken. With wet hands form it into a lightly flattened patty.
- The chicken should be wet enough for the bread crumbs to stick. Roll the nuggets in the bread crumbs.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment and lightly greased.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Flip and bake for an additional 3-5 minutes.