Less isn’t always more, especially when it comes to butter and marshmallows. If you’re on a diet less probably is more, but let’s just say we’re not. The recipe for Rice Kripie Treats was different during my childhood. I believe the “original” Rice Krispie Treat recipe listed on the back of the box has slightly changed today. They thought they finally got it right but I’m sorry to say they didn’t 😉 The treats I had growing up were good but they could have been better. I have officially mastered the art of Rice Krispie Treats and I’m here to share with you my secrets to the perfect Rice Krispie Treats.
1. Stovetop: Make sure you melt your butter and marshmallows using the stovetop. It’s easier to control the heat and the mess.
2. Fresh Marshmallows: If you use old, stale marshmallows they just won’t melt as beautiful as a brand new package you just picked up from the store. So if you have a bag or two that have been sitting in your pantry, save those for s’mores.
3. Low and Slow: Don’t rush the process. Melt your butter on low and don’t let the butter brown. I know browned butter is all the rage these days but browned butter in Rice Krispie Treats will only make them dry.
4. More butter and Marshmallows: The more the merrier. If you want the ooey gooey Rice Krispie treats you’ll want to have a ratio of slightly more marshmallows.
5. Vanilla Bean Paste or a Good Vanilla Extract: The addition of the vanilla takes the Rice Krispie Treats to a whole new level. It helps bring all the flavors together to make them even more enjoyable.
6. Buttered 8 x 8 inch pan: Placing the Rice Krispie Treat mixture into a greased pan helps lock in all the gooeyness.
All you have to do is follow these simple steps and you will have the best Rice Krispie Treats on the block 🙂
- 5 tbs. butter
- 1 and 1/2 (10oz.) bags marshmallows
- 1 tsp. vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 6 cups puffed rice cereal
- Prepare a 8 × 8 inch pan with butter; set aside.
- In a large saucepan melt butter over low heat with the vanilla.
- Add in marshmallows and stir until completely melted.
- Remove from heat and stir in the puffed rice.
- Using a greased spatula press mixture into greased pan.
- Cool on the countertop for approximately 30 minutes.
You may also enjoy: