These pink angel food cake cupcakes are perfect for Valentine’s Day. Top them with fresh strawberries for the perfect dessert.
One of my favorite pairings has always been angel food cake and strawberries. It’s the perfect dessert to eat when you’re in the mood for something sweet but don’t want to feel super guilty about eating it afterwards. I decided to take my favorite cake, turn it into a cupcake, and make it PINK. I hope you’re as excited about this as I am.
When I was a child I was always utterly amused when my mom would hang the angel food cake upside down over a bottle when it came out of the oven. I thought it was the silliest thing and I never understood why she did it.
As I grew older I realized hanging the cake wasn’t just something she did to amuse me. I’ve always found myself in a pickle when making an angel food cake. It seems like every time I went to make it there wouldn’t be anything to hang it on.
I’ve tried the whole turning it on its side thing and it always just made the cake super lopsided. I’m here to tell you that with this angel food cake recipe you don’t need to hang anything. Just bake, cool, and enjoy. I like to top these with homemade whipped cream but of course you can use store bought.
Did you ever notice the older you get the shorter the days, months, and years get. It’s crazy to think that January is already almost over. I feel like it was just yesterday we were waiting for the ball to drop.
I want to do so many things year but I’m starting to wonder if I’ll really ever find the time. I would love it if my boyfriend and I could take a vacation. We’ve been together for just over 5 years and we’ve never really taken any time for ourselves.
We would really love to try and make it to Disney because I was only there when I was two. Between school and work there’s really just no time. I’m hoping the summer of 2016 we will be able to finally enjoy ourselves. Kip will finally be out of school and he’ll probably be able to take time off of work.
Until then I’ll just sit here eating these adorably cute pink angel food cake cupcakes. I could see these being served at a children’s birthday party or a Valentine’s day treat. Where’s one place you would absolutely love to vacation?
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbs. cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup boiling water
- 8 large egg whites
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- pink food coloring, optional
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- food coloring, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- In a large bowl sift together flour, cornstarch, sugar, and salt.
- Slowly stir in the boiling water to the sifted dry ingredients.
- Allow the batter to cool.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer whip together egg whites, baking powder, cream of tartar, vanilla, and food coloring until stiff peaks are formed.
- Carefully fold the whipped egg whites into the cooled batter until combined.
- Fill cupcake liners 3/4 of the way full and bake for 22-24 minutes or until the tops are no longer tacky.
- Allow to cool.
- Allow stainless steel bowl and wire whip to chill in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Once chilled, on high combine heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar, food coloring, and vanilla in the bowl of your stand mixer. (I recommend covering your bowl/mixer with a towel while it's whipping.
- After a couple minutes check to see if your cream has turned into a stiff whipped topping.
- Top your cool cupcakes with the whipped topping and enjoy.