Rainbows make everything better, especially when it rains. You could be having THE worst day but the second you see a rainbow you can’t help but smile. Personally I think everything is more fun when it’s full of those beautiful rainbow colors. These rainbow cupcakes are the perfect example of something that’s better with color. If I walked into a bakery and they had a rainbow cupcake I would be buying it without a second thought.
You may be wondering how I got my colors so vibrant. Well, I didn’t use liquid food coloring. I have found that liquid food coloring doesn’t give me the colors I desire. My boyfriend got me this set of gel food coloring for my birthday and ever since then I have been in love. If you use a lot of food coloring it’s definitely worth purchasing. When my little bottles empty I plan on buying the bigger ones.
The really nice thing about gel food coloring is that a little goes a long way. With liquid food coloring I probably would have had to use a hole bottle and it still wouldn’t have turned out as vibrant. I used about a pea sized amount for each bowl of cake batter and the colors turned out this bright.
These cupcakes would be a hit with kids. I know I couldn’t wait to cut mine open to see all the pretty colors, so I can only imagine a child’s reaction after they take their first bite. When I have children I will be making these for special occasions. I can’t wait to come up with other holiday cupcakes. I could even throw in some flavor 😉
Do you see the wrappers ? They look tie-dyed, I wish I could keep them! I don’t think my boyfriend would approve of used cupcake wrappers lying around the house, haha.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, and Purple food coloring
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 tsp. heavy whipping cream or milk
- 1 tsp. clear vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer combine butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Once fluffy mix in eggs one at a time.
- Mix in vanilla.
- In a separate bowl sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- With the mixer on low add in 1/3 of the flour mixture, 1/8 cup of milk, another 1/3 of the flour mixture, the rest of the milk, and the rest of the flour mixture.
- Evenly divide batter into 6 bowls.
- Add one color to each bowl, mixing until combined.
- Place a small amount of each color into a lined cupcake pan.
- (I layered mine but you could do it messier to achieve a tie-dye look)
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool before frosting.
- In a large bowl cream together butter, vanilla and heavy whipping cream.
- Once combined slowly mix in sifted powdered sugar.
- Mix until frosting is light and fluffy.
- I used a 1M tip for frosting.