St. Patrick’s Day is during Spring Break this year. My boyfriend is super excited about this because he’s Irish. He doesn’t have the red hair but his beard usually comes in with a hint of red, especially around his chin. We’re not big into drinking but I think he’ll have a few this year. We’re remodeling our bathroom this weekend so it might not be the best of ideas, haha. I might have to whip up another batch of these Shamrock Rice Krispies Treats to keep him under control.
I found these limited edition Lucky Charms and knew they would be perfect for this recipe. This box only has shamrock shaped marshmallows in light and dark green. My favorite shapes as a child were always the shamrocks, rainbows, and hearts. I never actually liked the taste of the cereal, I usually just picked out all of the marshmallows and ate those.
I must admit, It was hard to resist eating all of the cute shamrock marshmallows. We started planning out our home remodel this past weekend. It was the first weekend my boyfriend had off work in a long time so we actually had time to sit and discuss everything. Our kitchen currently has honey maple colored cabinets with a grey countertop, yellow paint on the walls, and carpeted flooring. Honestly I hate the color of the cabinets but the carpet is my least favorite part of the kitchen right now.
We decided on an expresso colored cabinet. I think the dark cabinets will look great with the white trim throughout the house. I love warm and inviting colors so we’re planning on painting the walls a beige color. The flooring is tile that looks like wood. It’s rustic and we both really love it. The remodel won’t be happening for awhile because we want to knock down some walls but I will keep you all updated.
When I think about something, it’s literally all I can think about. This whole home remodel has me excited. We don’t have money to do it all at once but it will keep us entertained these next few years. I’m thinking about starting another site to share our remodel/home decorating. Luckily my boyfriend and I agree on most of the remodel ideas so the stress of it all will be worth it. There’s one part of the kitchen I have a little surprise plan for, so until then 😉
- 4 and 1/2 tbs. butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract or (1/4 tsp. mint extract)
- 1 and 1/2 bags of marshmallows (10oz. bags)
- 3 cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- 3 cups Lucky Charms Cereal
- green food coloring, optional
- Prepare a 8 × 8 inch or 13 × 9 inch pan with shortening; set aside.
- In a large saucepan melt butter over low heat with the vanilla or mint extract.
- Add in marshmallows and stir until completely melted.
- Slowly stir in some green food coloring (optional).
- Once combined remove from heat and stir in the cereals.
- Using greased spatula press mixture into greased pan.
- Cool on the countertop for approximately 30 minutes.
- Store in airtight container.