Save time this holiday season by making these simple gingerbread cookies. These cookies are made easy with the help of a cake mix.
Gingerbread cookies are my favorite Christmas cookie! What’s great about this recipe is that its made easier with the help of a spice cake mix. Of course the cookies are going to spread a bit because we are using a cake mix BUT there’s no need for refrigerating the dough with this recipe. In my opinion, that’s the best thing in the world!
Tips & Tricks to Achieve the Perfect Cookie:
- If you have a hard time rolling out the dough you can refrigerate it, but don’t leave it in there too long or it will get too hard and dry out.
- If you have a bench scraper – flour your cookie cutter so the dough doesn’t stick. Then use the bench scraper to transfer the cookie to the prepared baking sheet.
- If you don’t have a bench scraper – don’t worry about flouring your cookie cutter. You’ll want the dough to stick so you can transfer the dough with the cookie cutter. *note: your dough may also stick to the board so make sure your flouring your work surface while rolling out the dough.
- Stick to gingerbread cookie cutters or large shapes. If you use a snowflake cookie cutter the dough will spread and your cookie won’t look so pretty.
Since this simple gingerbread cookie recipe is made with a cake mix it’s fantastic to make with the kids. You could even make a simple frosting or buy some from the store so the kids can have fun and decorate the cookies. My favorite design is just outlining the cookie with a small strip of frosting and then adding a face to the head.
These cookies are perfect for the holidays! I bet no one would even know you used a cake mix to make these.
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 whole egg, room temperature
- 1 egg yolk, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 box Duncan Hines Spice Cake mix
- 3 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- Preheat your oven to 375º F.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer combine butter, egg, egg yolk, molasses, and vanilla.
- Whip together until fluffy.
- Mix in ginger. Whip until combined.
- Add in the cake mix and flour and mix until well combined.
- Roll dough out onto a floured surface (1/8" thick) and cut into desired shapes.
- Place cookie cut outs onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes. Allow to cool on baking sheet for 1 minute before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Store in an airtight container and enjoy!