Rich baked chocolate donuts smothered with a healthy portion of fresh strawberry frosting.
This time of year we’re all hoping someone buys us a box of chocolate covered strawberries. Personally I would rather have a box of strawberry covered chocolates, but I don’t think they exist. If such a thing does exist please let me know in the comment section below.
Let’s get back to talking about these donuts. These rich chocolate donuts are baked to perfect and then they’re topped with a fresh strawberry frosting. I could probably eat the frosting by the spoonful but we’re going to save some for the donuts, mmkay? I thought about making strawberry donuts dipped in a chocolate glaze but that didn’t seem too original to me.
I like to do things different and backwards which is why I decided to take a chocolate donut and cover it in strawberry frosting. I really wanted to sprinkle the tops of the donuts with mini chocolate chips but when I went to my panty I had none (insert sad face here).
If you happen to have mini chocolate chips in your pantry feel free to shower these donuts with a handful… or two. I won’t judge. If we’re being real here I want to share a secret with you. When I made these I may have actually ate one too many and by “one” I actually mean three.
I was making sure that the recipe was absolutely perfect before I shared it with you all. Guess what?! It obviously got my seal of approval 🙂 Since the donuts are chocolate they are on the richer side. I would go for a lighter dinner just so I could eat one or two of these.
The fresh strawberry frosting is so refreshing. I was super surprised when I found beautiful strawberries at the grocery store this time of year. They were on the pricey side but this girl has been craving fresh strawberries since strawberry season ended. I’ve been tossing a few chopped up strawberries into my morning oat cereal.
I think tomorrow I’ll just chop up one of these donuts, place it in a bowl, and cover it in milk. That seems like a perfect breakfast in my eyes.
Are you the kind of person who eats donuts for breakfast? Honestly, it’s too much sugar for me. I prefer to eat them around lunch time if I’m going to have one.
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup diced strawberries
- 1 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon softened butter
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375º F.
- Grease a donut pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, brown sugar, cocoa powder, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt.
- Once combined whisk in the buttermilk, eggs, oil, and vanilla extract.
- Mix until almost all of the lumps are gone.
- Fill donut pan cavities 3/4 of the way full and bake for 10-12 minutes or until cake springs back when touched.
- Allow donuts to cool slightly before removing from the pan.
- In a small bowl slightly mash together the strawberries, butter, and powdered sugar until the mixture forms a thick frosting consistency.
- Stir in vanilla extract.
- Top the cooled donuts with a healthy portion of the frosting.